Last Updated : 27 January 2013 at 13:10 IST
Likely Rio Tinto, BHP Billiton production cuts may wipe out Nickel, Aluminium surplus: Barclays
Source :Commodity ONline
Part of the write down on Rio Tinto assets occurred due to failed sale of Pacific Aluminium. The facility processes 1.1 Mt of aluminium. Other Rio smelters at France (350 Ktpy), Sebree Smelter 200 Ktpy (highest cost smelter) are under risk. If all of Rio’s Australasian smelters were shuttered it would make a huge dent to Barclays forecast of 1.8 Mt aluminium surplus this year
- Precious, base metals, Crude Oil may trade negative on weak global sentiments
- Taking cues from decline in spot gold prices coupled with weak global market sentiments, Spot silver prices decreased by 0.53 percent today. However, favourable economic data from Germany along with weakness in DX cushioned sharp fall in the prices.
- read more
The USDA forecasts 2013/14 Canada rapeseed production at 14.5 million tons, up 9 percent from las..
By Col. Ajay
As per financial astrology, transit OD Sun in Saturn house is ..
LONDON (Commodity Online): Nickel and aluminium markets have been in surplus for some time on account of production indiscipline, but the forecasted surplus for 2013 may be wiped away on account of potential write downs Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton, according to Barclays Research.
Both Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton have been impacted by high costs and lower prices. In the event of a write down on nickel assets at BHP Billiton, it will wipe out 43 kt of surplus, Barclays said.
Gayle Berly, analyst with Barclays said: “If media speculation about a potential write down at BHP Billiton’s Australian alumina and nickel businesses is true it could put bauxite and alumina capacity at risk (raw materials for aluminium) as well as 56Kt of refined nickel production. If BHPB was to close all of this production, it would wipe out our forecast nickel surplus for this year of 43Kt.“
Rio Tinto’s Production Capacity
Part of the write down on Rio Tinto assets occurred due to failed sale of Pacific Aluminium. The facility processes 1.1 Mt of aluminium. Other Rio smelters at France (350 Ktpy), Sebree Smelter 200 Ktpy (highest cost smelter) are under risk. If all of Rio’s Australasian smelters were shuttered it would make a huge dent to Barclays forecast of 1.8 Mt aluminium surplus this year.
Governments of France and Australia might step in to prevent a crisis. “In sum, while the scale (if any) of production cuts would determine the market and price impact, at the very least the message such cuts would send could help to define the cost support for nickel and aluminium prices,” Gayle Berly said.
- MCX Lead, Nickel negative; support 111.9, 823 and 810
- LME launches Asian helpdesk in Hong Kong
- MCX Copper negative; investors await data releases
- China April Platinum imports strong at 294koz, up by 32% y/y: Barclays
- Copper slips on China mfg data, await German PMI, US job data
- Copper gets a punch in the belly as China PMI shrinks