Last Updated : 11 June 2009 at 17:15 IST
More branches of SBI to sell gold coins
- Spices, Oilseeds counter bearish, Sugar range bound: SMC
- In oilseeds complex, Mustard January may remain below 3820 on increase acreage, adequate carryover stocks. Soybean decline seems to be capped with robust soymeal exports which has doubled to 503,269 tons in November compared to a month ago. Apri
- read more
India's production of pulses is estimated at 19 million tons for 2013-14 and the demand for pulse..
By Col. Ajay
As per financial astrology, transit OD Sun in Saturn house is ..
MUMBAI: Buoyed by the response it received from the scheme, State Bank of India has decided to increase the number of branches for retail sales of gold coins to 1,100 in the current fiscal.
SBI, country’s largest lender, said the move is aimed at reaching out to all important centres in the country and cash in on the increased interest shown by customers.
SBI had increased the number of branches for retail sale of gold coins to 518 in 2009 from 250 in 2008. The scheme will be extended to cover all important centres of the country in 2009-10 by increasing the number of branches selling gold coins to about 1,100.
SBI said it has re-launched the gold deposit scheme at 50 branches to mobilise the precious metal from domestic market for deployment as metal loans to jewellers.
SBI also undertakes supply of customised gold coins to corporates. It is also in the process of setting up a dedicated bullion branch in Mumbai to undertake bullion business in a focused manner.
According to World Gold Council, India’s gold imports fell 14 per cent to 660.2 tonnes in 2008 due to higher prices of the metal. The gold offtake in the first three months of the current year was also slowed due to subdued consumer sentiment.
- India Pulses demand may touch 21.77 mn tons in 2013-14
- India Rabi Oil Seeds acreage jumps 3.54% Y/Y to 74.74 lakh hectares
- China Communist Party plenum goals may benefit commodities
- India Gold remains weak, Crude Oil falls on profit booking, Copper up
- Erratic weather in Asia is a setback for Rice crop
- Gold options indicates bullish sentiment: Saxo Bank