Last Updated : 16 October 2011 at 20:05 IST
Shorting crude oil is a bad idea : Barclays
Crude oil prices have fallen from their highs on concerns of a global economic slowdown. However, a negative macro-economic outlook does not warrant opening short positions in crude oil.
- Commodities may witness mixed trend on concerns over QE tapering
- Spot gold prices traded on a negative note by around 0.1 percent today on the back of rising concerns of early QE taper after a string of positive data from the US. Also, mixed global market sentiments and declining trend in SPDR Gold holdings acted
- read more
Vietnam’s rice exports from the beginning of the year to December 5, 2013 stands at around ..
By Col. Ajay
As per financial astrology, transit OD Sun in Saturn house is ..
NEW YORK (Commodity Online): Crude oil prices have fallen from their highs on concerns of a global economic slowdown. However, a negative macro-economic outlook does not warrant opening short positions in crude oil.
Though shorting crude oil may seem a natural trade in view of the possibility of world wide economic contraction, one has to consider the following factors
-Spare capacity is limited, the market is in too large a supply deficit as there is too much geopolitical risk in crude oil production.
-Producers are very determined to negate the effects of any shorting based on macro-economic climate.
-US oil inventories have fallen to their 5 year averages in the past two weeks at a rate of more than 1 million barrels per day. The inventory surplus is now mostly gone and stock levels are expected to fall below their 5 year average in the coming weeks.
NYMEX crude oil is currently trading around $86.50 after going below $76 in early October.
Source: Barclays Capital Commodities Research
- MCX Crude Oil remains positive, may turn bullish above 6110
- India, US Gold futures neutral, firm data continues to weigh
- Kapas futures positive on short covering, may trade range bound
- Silver to average $19.5 an ounce in 2014; Gold at $1310 an ounce: Barclays
- Develop India Agriculture for multilateral trade: ASSOCHAM
- US Gold steadies after sharp fall; MCX Gold, Silver negative