Last Updated : 29 September 2013 at 10:00 IST
Silver mine supply may continue to grow in 2014: Report
An important driver of this dynamic is more than 70% of silver being mined as a by product during the mining of lead, zinc, copper and gold, all of which we expect to see production increase by 1-3% y/y at least through 2014,” said London based Barclays in a report.
- QE tapering fears to add to downside pressure on commodities
- Spot gold prices gained around 0.4 percent today taking cues from upbeat global market sentiments. However, declining trend in SPDR Gold holdings coupled with strength in the DX acted as negative factors. In the Indian markets, gold prices declined a
- read more
India's production of pulses is estimated at 19 million tons for 2013-14 and the demand for pulse..
By Col. Ajay
As per financial astrology, transit OD Sun in Saturn house is ..
LONDON (Commodity Online): Global silver mine supply is witnessing an up-trend and is likely to continue with its existing trend in the rest of the year and in 2014. Rise in mine supply may put pressure on the white metal prices to some extent. Silver recorded an up-tick this month after US Federal Reserve stated that its would continue with it's existing monetary stimulus till the economy reaches its strong growth path.
Analysts expect that US Fed may roll back its stimulus program partially this year and taper entire stimulus by the end of 2014. If the projections come true then, they may negatively affect the silver prices to some extent.
“Silver mine supply looks healthy and continues to grow unabated across regions. Having grown by an average of 3% y/y since 2004, we expect mine production to grow 1-2% y/y in 2013 and in 2014. An important driver of this dynamic is more than 70% of silver being mined as a by product during the mining of lead, zinc, copper and gold, all of which we expect to see production increase by 1-3% y/y at least through 2014,” said London based Barclays in a report.
However, as of now, silver is witnessing good retail and industrial demand. “In terms of industrial demand, semiconductor billings data for July revealed continued improvement in all regions, with the exception of Japan. Shipments rose by 22% across the Americas, 7% y/y across Asia-Pacific and by a modest 1% y/y in Europe. However, year-to-date shipments across Europe are flat y/y. The latest trade data for China showed that silver imports were down 16% y/y, with all forms of imports lower y/y including powder. Given the size of the industry surplus, and size of loss-making investment positions, we think prices are still likely to endure downward pressure,” Barclays noted.
- US Crude Oil rises further on stockpiles drop, Gold falls after short covering rally
- Gold falls to 5 month low on US stimulus fears, MCX Gold to remain weak
- India Gold bearish, US Gold near 5 month low on tapering fears
- US Gold five month low, firm data weigh
- Three UAE based Gold refineries complete responsible sourcing audits
- MCX Gold, Crude Oil, Copper decline as Indian Rupee soar