News You Can Use
- Key agricultural areas in Northern and Central India have received heavy showers this time, preparing the ground for more crop planting and a good Kharif harvest after two years of drought.
- Crop planting has gathered pace in the region after the Monsoon rapidly advanced to Northern India and covered the entire country last week.
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) expects good rainfall to continue this season although there would be a temporary weakening of the Monsoon current in Central India this week.
- Sowing of Kharif crops begins with the onset of Southwest Monsoon and harvesting starts from October. The Southwest Monsoon in India till July 13 was higher by 4 percent.
- Increased rainfall has helped farmers increase sowing of crops by 38% last week, with the biggest increase coming in are under Pulses.
- Pulses acreage jumped 55 per cent in a week, and is now 39 per cent higher than last year despite the late arrival of the Monsoon this year.
- Farmers' enthusiasm towards sowing of Urad can be attributed to the recent increase in the Minimum Support Prices (MSP). The record shows that the farmers have shifted from other crops like Cotton and Oilseed towards Urad for higher MSP and bonus.
- Area Under Urad as on July 14, 2016 has been reported higher by 55.3% to 1.72 million tonnes from 1.11 million tonnes same time last year.
- Farmers in major Indian states likely to shift towards Urad cultivation due to better remuneration.
- Sowing area in Indian state of Madhya Pradesh likely to drift lower by 8% over last year as farmers are preferring Urad crop over Soybean whereas Rajasthan may face 15-20% reduction in Soybean area and likely to shift towards Urad.
- Looking at the progress of Urad sowing area, Urad prices are expected to trade lower till July end. However, further progress of Urad crop and price forecast is likely to depend on Monsoon progress for rest of the days of July and August.
Urad (Area in lakh hectare)
Note: Normal: Average Area of Last Five Year Same Week. Percentage Change Is Derived From Previous Year Vs Current Year.